Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Commitment #1

For the last few years, I have listened to, read, and watched every single thing I can about becoming a writer. I must be the world's biggest expert on becoming a writer who is not actually writing anything. I know that needs to change. 

A friend introduced me to a fellow former-lawyer-who-wanted-more-from-life, Mel Robbins. Mel is interesting and several of her "life hacks" (as Annabel would call them) have come in handy, including this one, which I now deem central to my commitments to writing.

Mel says, If you struggle to get out of bed in the morning, set the alarm and when it goes off, say "5-4-3-2-1" and then get up. I know; it's so damn simple, but a few months in, it still feels somewhat miraculous. As someone who has perpetually set early alarms that I then ignored, and as someone who spent the subsequent day tarnished in guilt from "sleeping late," this method has really helped. I find myself getting up early with much more ease and feeling great about it after. 

However, the truth is that I am still using my early morning time hiding from writing. A few times I have written but mostly, I have hidden from writing by using exercise. I've used exercise to hide from a lot of things in life and I know I want to change that. It's time. 

So my first commitment in my writing journey is this: 

1. Get out of bed at 6:00 AM every week day of the summer (excluding 1 vacation week in August). 

2. Be in my chair writing from 6:30 - 8:00 AM every week day of the summer (excluding 1 vacation week in August). 

That's it. Commitment #1. Day 1 starts tomorrow. No hiding, because you're there. Right, Mom? 


No comments:

Post a Comment