Friday, October 12, 2012

Head Shave: Part I

I just loaded the kids into Paul's car and they're off to school. When we were walking down the driveway I joked, "Who's going to be balder than Daddy tonight?!?" "Mommyyyy!" Teddy and Annabel both replied gleefully, which is all the peace I need for my head shave appointment today.

I'm not scared to be bald. I thought I would be. I'm not sad or mad or jealous (although I admit that if I had Connie Britton's hair (yes, I shamelessly loved Nashville) I may be sad and mad to lose it because seriously, she has awesome hair, and I'm convinced it's not extensions). But mine, it's frail and limp, kind of like my old boobs, so no big deal. Out with the old, as they say.

Today as I watch Monique buzz my hair off, I will also remember a few of the most beautiful students I ever taught -- gorgeous girls, now young women, with alopecia. They were stunning when they sat in my classroom with nothing but a simple scarf tied on their heads, and I'm certain they are even more gorgeous now, with a scarf or a wig or whatever they choose to wear or not wear. I marvel at the fact that years later, those freshman and sophomores in high school are teaching me, a 32-year-old, about inner beauty.

So cancer, yet again, I've got you on this one. You want my hair? Take it. Because my bald head means I'm one step closer to my cure. And you're one step closer to your complete end. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,

    You had so many students so you may not remember me, but you were one of my high school teachers (a phenomenal one by the way)! My sister just showed me the blog that you have written and I am looking forward to continuing reading it. It is truly inspirational. I am so sorry for the pain that you and your family have to go through, but if there is anyone that can overcome this, it will most definitely be you! I currently reside in Canton, MA for a few more months, so if there is ever anything that you need, please do not hesitate to call! Thank you for the kind words about the students with alopecia, as one was my younger sister. "Bald is beautiful" in our home. :)

    You will continue to be in my prayers.

    Sincerely,
    Alyssa Konopka

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly an inspiation to everyone, remember bald is beautiful and you are certainly beautiful. I am thinking of you and your family every day. I am an email away if you need anything, anything at all. All my love to you and your family.

    Lisa Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara you are in such the right frame of mind to kick cancers butt. And I along with alot of others, KNOW that you are on your way there, each day another day closer to the new you!!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete