Monday, January 21, 2013

Good Words: Dr. King

"We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline." 
 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968


An excerpt from Dr. King's last speech -- April 3, 1968:



My Aunt Jacqueline and my Grandma Lang (left, front in the top photograph) attended the March on Washington in August 1963. This is a page from my Grandma's scrapbook. She gave it to me years ago when I started teaching history. I was always so proud to show these pages to my classes, and I'm equally proud to share them now. (If you want to read the text, click on the image and it gets bigger.)

My Grandma and my aunt marched with the New Canaan, Connecticut, Committee of Christian Concern.  My Mom was only 12 years old at the time so she didn't get the chance to attend. 

This is a scan of an original program from the march. "Remarks" by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (#16) was, of course, his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. This program, and the other souvenir that I scanned below, were also in my Grandma's 1963 scrapbook. They are some of my most cherished possessions.

The middle of the program.

The back of the program, describing the route of the march.

The cover of another souvenir. 

The first page of the souvenir. 

1 comment:

  1. This is probably one of THE coolest things I have ever seen!!! How wonderful to have such an exciting piece of history passed down in your family. This is the kind of thing you wish they had 'show and tell' days at the office for!

    ReplyDelete